Live Action Movie Protest
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Nostalgia
How did you used to pronounce names... - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 08, 2020 12:48 pm by Chulance

» Ghost In The Shell LAM
How did you used to pronounce names... - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 25, 2020 8:58 pm by Tlaloc

» The Ninja Turtles will be aliens
How did you used to pronounce names... - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 19, 2018 10:11 am by Tlaloc

» Greetings
How did you used to pronounce names... - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 19, 2018 10:04 am by Tlaloc

» Still on the anime bill
How did you used to pronounce names... - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 19, 2018 10:02 am by Tlaloc

» Dragon Ball Z/GT Interesting Facts
How did you used to pronounce names... - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 01, 2013 9:06 pm by Starry994

» Dragon Ball Z: The Battle Of Gods
How did you used to pronounce names... - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 5:29 pm by justinlynch3

» Superman vs Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
How did you used to pronounce names... - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 12:08 pm by Terraqueous

» Happy Birthday topic
How did you used to pronounce names... - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 5:24 pm by justinlynch3

» Cell vs Doomsday
How did you used to pronounce names... - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 6:47 pm by Chulance

» Dragonball Z Saiyan saga
How did you used to pronounce names... - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 09, 2012 8:51 pm by justinlynch3

» JAPANESE DRAGON BALL MOVIE (AKIRA TORIYAMA INVOLVED!)
How did you used to pronounce names... - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 11, 2012 6:47 am by Superman

» All anime's you watch!
How did you used to pronounce names... - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 25, 2012 12:22 am by Superman

» Hello!
How did you used to pronounce names... - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 02, 2012 9:01 am by hasnainssjbardock

» Dragon Ball Z : Budokai Tenkaichi 3
How did you used to pronounce names... - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 10:39 am by justinlynch3

» New RP. " Land of Myths"
How did you used to pronounce names... - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 10:36 am by justinlynch3

» Naruto Mirage
How did you used to pronounce names... - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 11:02 pm by luxin

» Rise of the Ultimate Villian
How did you used to pronounce names... - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 5:45 pm by Godsend

» Dragon Ball: The Episode Of Bardock [ 17. Decembar 2011 ]
How did you used to pronounce names... - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 10:43 am by hasnainssjbardock

» Ask Tite Kubo
How did you used to pronounce names... - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 01, 2012 5:09 am by *KING* Kazuma Hiro

Affiliates & Friends
Son Goku's Blog
Dragonball movie boicot
free forum
BG Anime
AMV Haos
Crtani Junaci
free forum
Who is online?
In total there are 19 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 19 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 554 on Sun May 16, 2021 12:30 am

How did you used to pronounce names...

+4
Vampire Knight
Yagami
Son Goku
Nikku
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

How did you used to pronounce names... - Page 2 Empty Re: How did you used to pronounce names...

Post by Nikku Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:26 am

Hahahaaa! Son slipped!!

*Slips myself*
Nikku
Nikku
Nikku
Nikku

Character sheet
Main character info:
Level, Stats and Skills:
Health:
How did you used to pronounce names... - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue100/100How did you used to pronounce names... - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (100/100)

Back to top Go down

How did you used to pronounce names... - Page 2 Empty Re: How did you used to pronounce names...

Post by Yagami Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:56 am

The key word there being "technically", when you use a language in its written form, if you write a word wrong it`s a mistake even if you did know the correct form. And trust me, people generally don`t know the first thing about orthography, or grammar for that matter, so the mistakes are usually caused by a lack of knowledge rather than a creative use of the language, if that can be considered creative at all.
The language we were talking about here is the japanese language, of which you, alongside probably everyone else here, obviously know very little about, so fluency is out of the question, which again brings me back to all the corrections I`ve made.
Yagami
Yagami
GokuSSJ4
GokuSSJ4

Back to top Go down

Post by ningen Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:04 am

+ It's one thing to play with your own language (although you should also have a lot of respect for it), but it's totally different to misuse a foreign one. People should always be careful about it.
Yagami was just trying to help with his corrections, he wasn't mocking anyone. Learning a new thing or two should not be something bad.
So basically if someone is not sure about how to pronounce something (and it's about English, German, Japanese, or Latin...or Serbian XD ) you can ask Yagami for help.
ningen
ningen
daggermouth
daggermouth

Character sheet
Main character info:
Level, Stats and Skills:
Health:
How did you used to pronounce names... - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue100/100How did you used to pronounce names... - Page 2 Empty_bar_bleue  (100/100)

Back to top Go down

Post by secor Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:30 am

nikku was explaining his pronunciation of japanese in written english, it would make no sense for him to explain it in written japanese form (for obvious reasons), thats why hes not wrong for writing "ck"... im done explaining
secor
secor
the portmanteauist
the portmanteauist

Character sheet
Main character info:
Level, Stats and Skills:
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post by Nikku Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:53 pm

Nikku is right!

*Halo appears above my head*
Nikku
Nikku
Nikku
Nikku

Character sheet
Main character info:
Level, Stats and Skills:
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post by Zero Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:09 pm

I say man-gah because it sounds significantly better.
Zero
Zero
Adult Saiyan
Adult Saiyan

Character sheet
Main character info:
Level, Stats and Skills:
Health:

http://mysticforum.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Yagami Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:57 am

secor wrote:nikku was explaining his pronunciation of japanese in written english, it would make no sense for him to explain it in written japanese form (for obvious reasons), thats why hes not wrong for writing "ck"... im done explaining

*sigh* it doesn`t matter what language he used, you can`t romanize japanese words any way you want, "ck" doesn`t exist in japanese, therefore he`s wrong, there, hope that was simple enough. And yes, please stop "explaining".
Yagami
Yagami
GokuSSJ4
GokuSSJ4

Back to top Go down

Post by secor Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:28 am

NOBODY EVER CLAIMED THAT "ck" EXISTS IN JAPANESE LANGUAGE!!! he was explaining, in english, how he used to pronounce a japanese word. its really not a matter of right n wrong, he knows his pronunciation is wrong, hes just explaining how he pronounces shit with an intuition of the english language n himself that he expects all of us to understand, obviously u dont
secor
secor
the portmanteauist
the portmanteauist

Character sheet
Main character info:
Level, Stats and Skills:
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post by Yagami Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:05 am

secor wrote:he was explaining, in english, how he used to pronounce a japanese word. its really not a matter of right n wrong, he knows his pronunciation is wrong, hes just explaining how he pronounces shit with an intuition of the english language

Nikku wrote:And the pronunciation of Sakura; I've always pronounced it Sack-Urr-Ah, but I think its meant to be pronounced as Sack-Ura with a quick Ura at the end.

Apparently you`re wrong yet again. what a shock.
I keep telling you that his intuition or whatever you wanna call it is irrelevant, there are rules on how to transliterate japanese words, and they`re based on the application of the latin alphabet, not on english or any other language. So yes, if you add a thing that doesn`t exist in a language it`s a mistake and it is a matter of right and wrong. You have a lot to learn if you are to hope to talk to me about language. Go read 10 or 20 books on it and then come back.
Yagami
Yagami
GokuSSJ4
GokuSSJ4

Back to top Go down

Post by Nikku Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:26 pm

...............wha??
Nikku
Nikku
Nikku
Nikku

Character sheet
Main character info:
Level, Stats and Skills:
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post by secor Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:23 am

yea he wrote the shit with a ck, doesnt mean he thinks its spelled that way or that ck exists in japanese phonetic, he's just explaining how he pronounces shit.

ur as ridiculous as sayin i dont kno how to spell cuz im leavin out letters n punctuation
secor
secor
the portmanteauist
the portmanteauist

Character sheet
Main character info:
Level, Stats and Skills:
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post by Nikku Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:30 am

I put "ck" as in the word "sack" because thats how I say Sa(c)kura. Okay then, Yagami, I'll rephrase it for you;

I pronounce it - Sak-Uura.

There we go. And please don't lecture about the double "u" in "ura"!!

T___T
Nikku
Nikku
Nikku
Nikku

Character sheet
Main character info:
Level, Stats and Skills:
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post by ningen Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:56 am

What you people don't get is that Yagami just explained how to correctly pronounce it, that's all. Since Nikku hasn't said that he's aware that what he wrote was incorrect and that he just wanted for others to understand how he pronounced, thus writing it like that.
So sa-ku-ra would be the correct way that should be used for the official purposes. But yes, I do understand what you mean even when you write ''sak-uura'' or "sack-ura" or whatever, even though it is a wrong way to put it all.
ningen
ningen
daggermouth
daggermouth

Character sheet
Main character info:
Level, Stats and Skills:
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post by secor Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:46 pm

^yea but lets say he explained it in a way that we couldnt understand, technically he would be wrong. he may be right but if what he tells us results in us pronouncing words wrong then he failed. not to say thats the case, but the reverse is true too, which IS the case. i've been trynna explain that. ugh wutever

n btw nikku obviously knows hes pronouncing shit wrong
secor
secor
the portmanteauist
the portmanteauist

Character sheet
Main character info:
Level, Stats and Skills:
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post by Vampire Knight Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:53 pm

AND HE LIKES TO~
Vampire Knight
Vampire Knight
Super Saiyan!
Super Saiyan!

Character sheet
Main character info:
Level, Stats and Skills:
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post by ningen Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:06 am

I didn't get the impression that Nikku was aware that he put it wrong. Neutral
Well that's the problem with English and the boundaries of the Internet. Since you can't hear the subject pronouncing sa-ku-ra, so someone still might not be sure about how to pronounce it. That's why I said that I get why he wrote it the way he did, but my point was that writing the correct form was also needed, because someone might want to know that.
ningen
ningen
daggermouth
daggermouth

Character sheet
Main character info:
Level, Stats and Skills:
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post by Zero Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:26 pm

You guys are arguing over nothing.
Zero
Zero
Adult Saiyan
Adult Saiyan

Character sheet
Main character info:
Level, Stats and Skills:
Health:

http://mysticforum.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by ningen Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:37 pm

^ I blame too much free time.
ningen
ningen
daggermouth
daggermouth

Character sheet
Main character info:
Level, Stats and Skills:
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post by Yagami Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:00 am

Nikku wrote:I put "ck" as in the word "sack" because thats how I say Sa(c)kura. Okay then, Yagami, I'll rephrase it for you;

I pronounce it - Sak-Uura.

There we go. And please don't lecture about the double "u" in "ura"!!

T___T

If you don`t want a lecture don`t write it like that Rolling Eyes
Double "u" would mean it`s lengthened which would sound just awful if actually pronounced that way (that, of course applies only to Sakura, naturally there are words with a long "u").

secor wrote:yea he wrote the shit with a ck, doesnt mean he thinks its spelled that way or that ck exists in japanese phonetic, he's just explaining how he pronounces shit.

ur as ridiculous as sayin i dont kno how to spell cuz im leavin out letters n punctuation

And I`m explaining he`s pronouncing it wrong.
And yes, unless you spell correctly you don`t know how to spell because why should someone trust you if you just say you can, nothing ridiculous about it. It`s actually kinda sad you would choose to mutilate your own language like that. But oh well, do what you want...

Zero wrote:You guys are arguing over nothing.
Proper language use is hardly "nothing". If you think it`s nothing don`t open the topic, simple as that.
Yagami
Yagami
GokuSSJ4
GokuSSJ4

Back to top Go down

Post by secor Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:45 am

Yagami wrote:
secor wrote:yea he wrote the shit with a ck, doesnt mean he thinks its spelled that way or that ck exists in japanese phonetic, he's just explaining how he pronounces shit.

And I`m explaining he`s pronouncing it wrong.
And yes, unless you spell correctly you don`t know how to spell because why should someone trust you if you just say you can, nothing ridiculous about it. It`s actually kinda sad you would choose to mutilate your own language like that. But oh well, do what you want...
smh, you know wut they say, ignorance killed the japanese douche

ever heard of poetry? literature? guess what, the rules and conventions of the english language are broken all the time in poetry and literature and u call that mutilation? get some culture my dude.

one more thing for ur ugly doodoo head, spelling something and pronouncing it are two different things, u can spell something one way and pronounce it another way, but i guess all u understand about spelling is whats inherent in japanese phonetic, which isnt complex at all, its fucking phonetic. just stop cuz ur pretending that theres no chance u could be wrong n makin urself look like a douche
secor
secor
the portmanteauist
the portmanteauist

Character sheet
Main character info:
Level, Stats and Skills:
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post by Yagami Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:11 am

Hahaha, what an ignorant human being you really are. Rules are broken far less than you think, when it`s done in literature and poetry it`s done because it`s needed to cause a certain effect on the one who reads it. And there`s a huge difference between literature and what you`re doing with your "cool" internet talk - that is mutilation.
You can spell and pronounce differently, but you would be wrong then just how you are wrong now. Of course I`m basing everything here on the japanese language since that`s the basis that was used, thus the rules of the said language apply. Though japanese scripts indeed aren`t that complicated to understand, they seem to present a more than a worthy obstacle for you. You can`t add letters that don`t exist in a language, the simplicity of that fact is so obvious but I guess ignorant people can`t even understand simple things. Regarding this case in particular, you obviously have no idea what kind of an effect adding a "c" would have not only here but when it comes to other words too. There is no chance that I`m wrong because I know what I`m talking about. I don`t have a problem with being wrong, and unlike most people I actually welcome such occasions because it`s a chance to learn something new.
All your "arguments" are so naive that I don`t have words to describe them. "Language is used for communication". "conventions are broken all the time", you have no idea how outdated and laughable those statements are today. You`re the one who is pretending to know stuff you know absolutely nothing about. Like I said, go read 10 or 20 books and then come back and talk to me.
Culture? The very thing I was protecting and preserving with my corrections, since a language is one of the most important aspects of a country`s cultural heritage, something someone like you could understand nothing about.

This topic will be locked now and your previous post will be deleted soon because of various insults that one can notice. If you still wish to talk nonsense you can send me a pm, I may or may not reply.
Have a nice day.
Yagami
Yagami
GokuSSJ4
GokuSSJ4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum