Live Action Movie Protest
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Nostalgia
What was it like when you first became an anime fan? EmptyTue Sep 08, 2020 12:48 pm by Chulance

» Ghost In The Shell LAM
What was it like when you first became an anime fan? EmptySat Jan 25, 2020 8:58 pm by Tlaloc

» The Ninja Turtles will be aliens
What was it like when you first became an anime fan? EmptyFri Jan 19, 2018 10:11 am by Tlaloc

» Greetings
What was it like when you first became an anime fan? EmptyFri Jan 19, 2018 10:04 am by Tlaloc

» Still on the anime bill
What was it like when you first became an anime fan? EmptyFri Jan 19, 2018 10:02 am by Tlaloc

» Dragon Ball Z/GT Interesting Facts
What was it like when you first became an anime fan? EmptySun Sep 01, 2013 9:06 pm by Starry994

» Dragon Ball Z: The Battle Of Gods
What was it like when you first became an anime fan? EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 5:29 pm by justinlynch3

» Superman vs Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
What was it like when you first became an anime fan? EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 12:08 pm by Terraqueous

» Happy Birthday topic
What was it like when you first became an anime fan? EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 5:24 pm by justinlynch3

» Cell vs Doomsday
What was it like when you first became an anime fan? EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 6:47 pm by Chulance

» Dragonball Z Saiyan saga
What was it like when you first became an anime fan? EmptySun Dec 09, 2012 8:51 pm by justinlynch3

» JAPANESE DRAGON BALL MOVIE (AKIRA TORIYAMA INVOLVED!)
What was it like when you first became an anime fan? EmptySun Nov 11, 2012 6:47 am by Superman

» All anime's you watch!
What was it like when you first became an anime fan? EmptyTue Sep 25, 2012 12:22 am by Superman

» Hello!
What was it like when you first became an anime fan? EmptySun Sep 02, 2012 9:01 am by hasnainssjbardock

» Dragon Ball Z : Budokai Tenkaichi 3
What was it like when you first became an anime fan? EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 10:39 am by justinlynch3

» New RP. " Land of Myths"
What was it like when you first became an anime fan? EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 10:36 am by justinlynch3

» Naruto Mirage
What was it like when you first became an anime fan? EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 11:02 pm by luxin

» Rise of the Ultimate Villian
What was it like when you first became an anime fan? EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 5:45 pm by Godsend

» Dragon Ball: The Episode Of Bardock [ 17. Decembar 2011 ]
What was it like when you first became an anime fan? EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 10:43 am by hasnainssjbardock

» Ask Tite Kubo
What was it like when you first became an anime fan? EmptySun Jul 01, 2012 5:09 am by *KING* Kazuma Hiro

Affiliates & Friends
Son Goku's Blog
Dragonball movie boicot
free forum
BG Anime
AMV Haos
Crtani Junaci
free forum
Who is online?
In total there are 15 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 15 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 554 on Sun May 16, 2021 12:30 am

What was it like when you first became an anime fan?

+6
4Neodemon
lol1991
justinlynch3
ningen
Jessica Raine
Nikku
10 posters

Go down

What was it like when you first became an anime fan? Empty What was it like when you first became an anime fan?

Post by Nikku Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:33 pm

Like how did it affect your life?

I was filled with this strange and new, but fantastic feeling. That was thanks largely to DBZ and Pokemon which were my first two animes that I really loved. From the moment I got that feeling, I knew life was never going to be the same again, and it wasn't! I wish I could experience that feeling again! I was very young, about 11 years old, when anime started properly making its way down here. I think my younger mind was more easily warped and stuff back then.

When I was first introduced to anime, or should I say when I first discovered anime, it was like this big new thing for me, I'd never seen anything like it before.

I'll post more on my thoughts and feelings towards the matter when I figure out how to properly word them. Very Happy
Nikku
Nikku
Nikku
Nikku

Character sheet
Main character info:
Level, Stats and Skills:
Health:
What was it like when you first became an anime fan? Left_bar_bleue100/100What was it like when you first became an anime fan? Empty_bar_bleue  (100/100)

Back to top Go down

What was it like when you first became an anime fan? Empty Re: What was it like when you first became an anime fan?

Post by Jessica Raine Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:56 pm

I was probably about 4 or 5, my first shows were Dragon Ball, Pokemon, and Sailor Moon. I didn't know it was called anime, and I'm not sure if I knew it was from japan at that point, but I just knew it was different from other cartoons, and special. I was...obsessed, there's no better way to put it.
Jessica Raine
Jessica Raine
Disfunctional robot
Disfunctional robot

Character sheet
Main character info:
Level, Stats and Skills:
Health:
What was it like when you first became an anime fan? Left_bar_bleue100/100What was it like when you first became an anime fan? Empty_bar_bleue  (100/100)

http://jessicaraine.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

What was it like when you first became an anime fan? Empty Re: What was it like when you first became an anime fan?

Post by ningen Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:59 am

I don't know if I could pinpoint the moment where I actually became a fan. The first thing I remember watching was an anime my parents would rent on VHS. I was very young, but I could read the subtitles. I didn't know who made it, the only thing I knew back then is that it was a cartoon unlike any other I've seen before. It was so much different and I just liked the way it was drawn and how the plot evolved. Later on, with the Toriton, Dragon Ball and Digimon I discovered that it was something big.
ningen
ningen
daggermouth
daggermouth

Character sheet
Main character info:
Level, Stats and Skills:
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post by justinlynch3 Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:08 am

My first anime was Dragon Ball. Then Z, then the movies, then GT which was... well full of plot holes, but still had a few good fights. So yeah.

I watched both Inuyasha (well, most of it) and FMA a few years ago when anime was still on YTV.

I'm slowly making my way through Bleach, watch a dozen or so episodes in one night every... now and then. Razz

I've partly seen Elfen Lied, Black Lagoon, and Hellsing (watched only until the English dubs cut off then stopped.)
justinlynch3
justinlynch3
Perfection
Perfection

Character sheet
Main character info:
Level, Stats and Skills:
Health:

http://thestoryuniverse.motion-forum.net/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by lol1991 Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:29 pm

7th grade...so when I was 12 I think...in 2003...around that time

Started with Naruto, then jumped right into Neon Genesis Evangelion, haven't looked back since

I had a shitty social life during 7th to 9th grade, literally no friends.
Things picked up in my 10th grade, now it's normal I suppose

I do hate it when people don't get this medium though

Also, the following don't count as well...I thought they were cartoons so they don't count:

Dragon Ball
Saint Seya
Digimon
Sailor Moon
Pokemon
Shaman King
YYH
Slayers
lol1991
lol1991
Resident Sniper
Resident Sniper

Character sheet
Main character info:
Level, Stats and Skills:
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post by 4Neodemon Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:07 am

jessicaraine wrote:I was probably about 4 or 5, my first shows were Dragon Ball, Pokemon...

Same here Twisted Evil Twisted Evil But i think i was 8 or 9... but i watched dragon ball and pokemon when it first premiered in portugal!
But like lol91 i did not knew that they were animes... i thought they were typicall cartoons too lol! lol! different from the other ones, but still cartoons Very Happy

So the anime that introduced me to other animes was Naruto. My life was never the same Wink
4Neodemon
4Neodemon
Adult Saiyan
Adult Saiyan

Character sheet
Main character info:
Level, Stats and Skills:
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post by Son Goku Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:40 pm

I knew about DBZ and Sailor Moon in the mid-late 90s and watched them some, but didn't know they were anime. I wasn't really into them because I was only about 10 at the time and was more into Power Rangers.

I started watching Pokemon and Cardcaptors in about 2000 or whenever it came out - still didn't know it was called anime.

I started getting really DBZ-curious at around 12-13 years old but couldn't watch it because I still had crappy cable and no Cartoon Network. I finally got the chance when I upgraded to satellite. It was around 2004-2005 when they were airing Yu Yu Hakusho, DBZ. then DB four days a week. That's when I really got into it. All I can say is good times. Good times...
Son Goku
Son Goku
Big Boss
Big Boss

Character sheet
Main character info:
Level, Stats and Skills:
Health:

http://blogs.ign.com/I_LIKE_TURTLES

Back to top Go down

Post by ningen Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:12 am

I wasn't familiar with the term "anime" as a kid either. In fact, I was around 16-17 years old when I started to pay more attention to that phenomenon.
Maybe I'll sound like some hardcore, unreasonable fanboy, but I really think that if you only watch dubbed anime you can't call yourself an anime fan.
ningen
ningen
daggermouth
daggermouth

Character sheet
Main character info:
Level, Stats and Skills:
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post by 4Neodemon Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:02 pm

i have the same feeling... anime must be spoken in japanese..lol
4Neodemon
4Neodemon
Adult Saiyan
Adult Saiyan

Character sheet
Main character info:
Level, Stats and Skills:
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post by justinlynch3 Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:06 pm

I disagree, I watch everything in English.
justinlynch3
justinlynch3
Perfection
Perfection

Character sheet
Main character info:
Level, Stats and Skills:
Health:

http://thestoryuniverse.motion-forum.net/forum.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by ningen Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:15 pm

4Neodemon wrote:i have the same feeling... anime must be spoken in japanese..lol
Exactly. I mean there is not even room for a "must". Anime is spoken in Japanese. Everything else is just a deviation of the original.
ningen
ningen
daggermouth
daggermouth

Character sheet
Main character info:
Level, Stats and Skills:
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post by Jessica Raine Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:25 pm

for the last year, I've only watched stuff in Japanese now. But now I'm watching Full Metal Alchemist dubbed (I had to watch the dub because I LOVE al and Ed's voices) and I remember how nice it is not having to read everything that is said X D It feels weird watching a really Japanese-y anime in English (espically if it takes place in a japanese highschool, for some reason) but if it's in a more western sort of setting like Full Metal Alchemist, it doesn't bother me.

anyway, I guess when I really started using the term "anime" and seeking out specifically anime shows was probably when I was 11 or 12. That was when I started watching Zatch Bell and all of the Hayao Miyazaki movies (before that I had only seen Kiki, spirited away, and castle in the sky)
Jessica Raine
Jessica Raine
Disfunctional robot
Disfunctional robot

Character sheet
Main character info:
Level, Stats and Skills:
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post by lol1991 Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:27 pm

ningen wrote:I wasn't familiar with the term "anime" as a kid either. In fact, I was around 16-17 years old when I started to pay more attention to that phenomenon.
Maybe I'll sound like some hardcore, unreasonable fanboy, but I really think that if you only watch dubbed anime you can't call yourself an anime fan.

4Neodemon wrote:i have the same feeling... anime must be spoken in japanese..lol

ningen wrote:
Exactly. I mean there is not even room for a "must". Anime is spoken in Japanese. Everything else is just a deviation of the original.

Baccano!, Ghost in the Shell: Stan Alone Complex, Samurai Champloo, Cowboy Bebop, Fullmetal Alchemist, Dragon Ball, Black Jack, Big O, Outlaw Star, Trigun and many others would like a word with you gents

justinlynch3 wrote:I disagree, I watch everything in English.

This is also wrong. There are some REALLY shit dubs, that can't even pass as something watchable.
Bleach passes barely, but things like Higurashi for example shouldn't be dubbed
lol1991
lol1991
Resident Sniper
Resident Sniper

Character sheet
Main character info:
Level, Stats and Skills:
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post by Jessica Raine Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:38 pm

lol-kun speaks the truth with his silver tongue.
Jessica Raine
Jessica Raine
Disfunctional robot
Disfunctional robot

Character sheet
Main character info:
Level, Stats and Skills:
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post by ningen Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:59 am

lol1991 wrote:
ningen wrote:I wasn't familiar with the term "anime" as a kid either. In fact, I was around 16-17 years old when I started to pay more attention to that phenomenon.

ningen wrote:

Baccano!, Ghost in the Shell: Stan Alone Complex, Samurai Champloo, Cowboy Bebop, Fullmetal Alchemist, Dragon Ball, Black Jack, Big O, Outlaw Star, Trigun and many others would like a word with you gents
Erm...yea, we can set an appointment. I watched half of the anime you listed here and I would always choose the original over dub in those cases. (That especially goes for Samurai Champloo and FMA.) I haven't said that there are no good dubs out there. For instance I love Serbian Dragon Ball dub and English dub of GITS, that first movie, was also OK. But that's not the point of what 4Neodemon and me were trying to say.
ningen
ningen
daggermouth
daggermouth

Character sheet
Main character info:
Level, Stats and Skills:
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post by Chulance Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:54 am

YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAHYEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH! yeah yeah yeah!!!!!!!!!

>>> << >>

So..I was like WOAH MAN DBZ IS LIKE COOL! I watched the original Dragon ball series, Yu Yu Hakusho, and some older anime's yall probably won't know lol.

Yeah some dubs where the BEST like DBZ, I'm loving DBZ, anyway yall...yeah anime is awesome. I got into the neweer anime like Bleach, Naruto, and One piece later. I'm an all out fan, and I WANT LOL1991 to WATCH YU YU HAKUSHO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Chulance
Chulance
Supreme ruler of DBZ
Supreme ruler of DBZ

Character sheet
Main character info:
Level, Stats and Skills:
Health:

https://www.youtube.com/user/chulance

Back to top Go down

Post by Setsuna F. Seiei Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:00 pm

Gundam, Dragon Ball/Z, Digimon, Pokemon, Voltron, Yu Yu Hakusho, and Slayers
Setsuna F. Seiei
Setsuna F. Seiei
Adult Saiyan
Adult Saiyan

Character sheet
Main character info:
Level, Stats and Skills:
Health:

http://anime-ultimatsupreme.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by lol1991 Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:58 am

I gotta say, after I watched Eva, I watched at least 5 more works from GAINAX

So, I forgot to add, GAINAX is for me the greatest bunch of motherfuckers ever

They started out as a small time group and as thus are really connected to their fans

Fan arts and doujins are a lot of times endorsed by them
Yes, they are awesome.

When I watched TTGL (around a year ago) recently, I finally got around to watching their other mecha shows

I love them so fucking much
lol1991
lol1991
Resident Sniper
Resident Sniper

Character sheet
Main character info:
Level, Stats and Skills:
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post by VEGETA_DTX Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:26 am

The first Anime I ever seen were probably Voltron and Bosco Adventures, they are among the first memories of mine in general, it was probably something like 3-5 years old(although people claim that you cannot remember things below 3 years old I, from my own experience, claim that it is possible) I didn't know it was Japanese nor I ever heard of the term Anime, but I really really liked to watch them as well as cartoons in general.

But the first Anime I've watched while I knew it was a "Japanese Cartoon" would probably be the Street Fighter II The Animated Movie rented on VHS not much after it came out, I'd say somewhere 1995-1996, man it was soooooo impressive to me back than and still is and will always be.

And then after that I'd say Sailor Moon and Dragon Ball and then very quickly DBZ started along them(although I never watched Sailor Moon too much, but since it was scheduled very close to DB, I sometimes watched entire episodes cause I was impatiently waiting DB/Z and didn't want to miss even the DB/Z opening Very Happy). I don't really need to talk much about how much I was impressed with the DB/Z.
I was watching all that both on German RTL II and Cartoon Network, via satellite TV. Of course not too long after that more and more anime's were aired and I was simultaneously watching many other great anime's such as Gundam and many other Mecha Anime, Pokemons, Digimons etc...

Few years after that I've heard of Manga/Anime term and I stopped calling them "Japanese cartoons", and as time passed by and as internet was more available and affordable I was slowly finding clips and videos of all my favorite Anime's that I've watched in childhood(it was way more difficult to find them back then, youtube didn't exist), of course DBZ was unquestionably the first one in line, the same second I turned on the internet I entered Dragon Ball Z in the Google search bar Very Happy

Today while I definitely can call myself an Anime/Manga fan because I like so many of them, I must say that there are much more of those that I'm simply not interested in.
VEGETA_DTX
VEGETA_DTX
Administrator
Administrator

Character sheet
Main character info:
Level, Stats and Skills:
Health:

https://liveactionprotest.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ningen Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:41 am

^ Yeah, you're one of the rare people I know who either have a very specific taste or are very random about the things they like. Smile
Lulz, so yesterday I finally found out the name of another anime of my childhood with the help of an acquaintance- the guy knows everything! o0
http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=760
^^ yay!
It was translated as "Star troop" here, so I searched it by that name and, of course, there was no chance to find it like that.
There is an OVA too, damn I have to download that now. XD
I recommend for the lulz. ^^
ningen
ningen
daggermouth
daggermouth

Character sheet
Main character info:
Level, Stats and Skills:
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down