Live Action Movie Protest
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Nostalgia
Dragon Ball and me. EmptyTue Sep 08, 2020 12:48 pm by Chulance

» Ghost In The Shell LAM
Dragon Ball and me. EmptySat Jan 25, 2020 8:58 pm by Tlaloc

» The Ninja Turtles will be aliens
Dragon Ball and me. EmptyFri Jan 19, 2018 10:11 am by Tlaloc

» Greetings
Dragon Ball and me. EmptyFri Jan 19, 2018 10:04 am by Tlaloc

» Still on the anime bill
Dragon Ball and me. EmptyFri Jan 19, 2018 10:02 am by Tlaloc

» Dragon Ball Z/GT Interesting Facts
Dragon Ball and me. EmptySun Sep 01, 2013 9:06 pm by Starry994

» Dragon Ball Z: The Battle Of Gods
Dragon Ball and me. EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 5:29 pm by justinlynch3

» Superman vs Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Dragon Ball and me. EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 12:08 pm by Terraqueous

» Happy Birthday topic
Dragon Ball and me. EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 5:24 pm by justinlynch3

» Cell vs Doomsday
Dragon Ball and me. EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 6:47 pm by Chulance

» Dragonball Z Saiyan saga
Dragon Ball and me. EmptySun Dec 09, 2012 8:51 pm by justinlynch3

» JAPANESE DRAGON BALL MOVIE (AKIRA TORIYAMA INVOLVED!)
Dragon Ball and me. EmptySun Nov 11, 2012 6:47 am by Superman

» All anime's you watch!
Dragon Ball and me. EmptyTue Sep 25, 2012 12:22 am by Superman

» Hello!
Dragon Ball and me. EmptySun Sep 02, 2012 9:01 am by hasnainssjbardock

» Dragon Ball Z : Budokai Tenkaichi 3
Dragon Ball and me. EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 10:39 am by justinlynch3

» New RP. " Land of Myths"
Dragon Ball and me. EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 10:36 am by justinlynch3

» Naruto Mirage
Dragon Ball and me. EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 11:02 pm by luxin

» Rise of the Ultimate Villian
Dragon Ball and me. EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 5:45 pm by Godsend

» Dragon Ball: The Episode Of Bardock [ 17. Decembar 2011 ]
Dragon Ball and me. EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 10:43 am by hasnainssjbardock

» Ask Tite Kubo
Dragon Ball and me. EmptySun Jul 01, 2012 5:09 am by *KING* Kazuma Hiro

Affiliates & Friends
Son Goku's Blog
Dragonball movie boicot
free forum
BG Anime
AMV Haos
Crtani Junaci
free forum
Who is online?
In total there are 9 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 9 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 554 on Sun May 16, 2021 12:30 am

Dragon Ball and me.

+3
VEGETA_DTX
Son Goku
Tlaloc
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Dragon Ball and me. Empty Dragon Ball and me.

Post by Tlaloc Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:21 pm

Let me see… how can I start this?

Well I have been into anime as far as I know since I was born. I remember that in early mornings of like when I was under 3 years old, I would watch some anime series that aired here in Mexico. I remember the hamburger eating genine, an anime I call “a boy and his dog” and Minky Momo. Back then, anime aired uncensored and uncut; unlike nowadays that we receive the edited and censored versions from the US (like Pokemon, Yugioh, Zatch Bell, One Piece and Naruto) due to some odd legal things and because it is easier to dub from English than Japanese. Anyway, I got exposed at anime from a very young age; just as many guys from Mexico and it seems of other nations across the world (save for the USA); even at my young age I was able to understand anime and despite that Japan is a different nation to Mexico; I noticed that there were some cultural characteristics in which we are similar, like children’s values only that Japan is way more evolved than Mexico.

So yeah, watching uncut and uncensored anime was something very common in Mexico, my guess is that the censors were very lazy to actually see the content, and had the logic that as they are cartoons (animations) they must be aimed at children. But once parents and religious groups saw the content, well… Mexico still is an undeveloped nation and conservative.

Around 1993 and 1994, Mexico experienced an anime revolution with Saint Seiya; which gave anime and manga a stronger and serious presence.

Finally, it was in 1995 when Dragon Ball finally came to Mexico. At first I believed it was a copy of Dragon Quest; an anime based on the video games which aired in Mexico a year earlier; but I later found out that Akira Toriyama did designs for Dragon Quest as well. Truth is I had heard about DB years before it came to Mexico, but I didn’t give it any importance. Back like in 1993, it was when I first knew about it after reading an article about Japan only games in the Nintendo Power magazine. Then in January 6th 1995 I saw a report about a Japanese video game expo in the Club Nintendo magazine, in which not only I learned more on Dragon Ball, but also met Sailor Moon and Slam Dunk.

I don’t remember which the date was, but I didn’t go to Jr. High that day; the day when I saw Dragon Ball for the first time. The very first episode I saw was the one where they meet Launch (the girl who when she sneezes turns either into a nice brunette or a blonde psychopath), it was a fun episode but like I said; I had the idea it was a Dragon Quest rip off, but still it was fun.

Time passed, and DB changed its time slot so I could see it on afternoons and I grew up loving it. I remember watching eagerly every time new episodes came, for me it was a shock that Goku lost the tournaments to Master Roshi and Ten Shin Han (in Mexico, Tien was named Ten just as in Japan), I was amazed that Goku was able to beat an entire army by himself (Red Ribbon), grew to hate on Tambourine for killing Krillin and truth is I got angry when Goku grew up at the end of DB since I felt we need more actual child superheroes. Still I was pleased when Goku defeated Piccolo and finally won the tournament and married Chi Chi (in Mexico, she is named Milk) around late 1996.

Then it was a long wait for September of 1997 for DBZ, I remember the first episode of DBZ was interrupted by the stupid presidential inform on the first day of September, so DBZ premiered again the next day.

It was one epic battle after another; DBZ quickly became Mexico’s #1 T.V. shown as it got high ratings plus it aired on what for U.S.A. audiences is consider primetime. DBGT came like for around 2000, I noticed it was somewhat different but I still liked it.

Many keep saying that Dragon Ball was their childhood, but sadly I can’t feel that, because Dragon Ball made my adolescence less horrible. I would had loved for DB to had been part of my childhood, but that honor goes to the likes of DuckTales, Thundercats, TMNT and some others. Probably if I had seen DB in my childhood, it would have helped me to see the world in another way as I saw it when I was a young lad.

Viewing Dragon Ball taught me many things. One was about spirituality. In DB we see that the characters get powerful by training and with that they increase their ki, their vital energy which could be translated as well as the soul. Thanks to DB I have tried to get in contact with my spirituality as maybe there is more in the universe to what we feel and see.

Speaking of training, DB also teaches that hard work pays off. Goku kept training all of his life and came from one of the weakest Saiyans ever, into the most powerful being in the universe. Which show Vegeta to train his ki as he believed he was already at top of Saiyans, and really show Freiza (Freezer in Mexico) who never bothered to train. This says that even if you are born rich and powerful, don’t get lazy as hard workers can get up to you and even surpass you.

There are many themes in DB, but perhaps one of the strongest is that of never letting innocence die. In Dragon Ball we see the adventures of Goku as a little boy, add Krillin if you want too. Then from the start of DBZ to the Cell saga, that space is occupied by Gohan, by the Buu saga we get Goten and Trunks, and in DBGT once again Goku takes the mantle of the child, along with his granddaughter Pan. As you see, children are always present in the DB universe and usually with a vital role.

We know that in real life most children are blessed with innocence and imagination, plus you get plain simple not complicated views of the world and sets of values. But as you grow, it is highly possible that you lose the characteristics of your childhood, and if you struggle to keep them; others will push you to lose them in order to be accepted and understood by society, another brick in the wall.

Now, I am not sure if I am the right person to speak of this; since I believe there is still a lot for me to learn; and maybe I don’t follow the ideals of DB since I do make my errors and have my share of skeletons in the closet. Lately, I have been losing my faith and not sure if I should trust God or not as he may not exist; but I do remember the time when DB made me believe in God, and thank Him for having me let know Son Goku.

I wanted to say this, since this is how I feel and see Dragon Ball; and the movie Dragonball Evolution in no way represents what DB truly stands for. Maybe there was more I was going to write, but for now, this is it.

Tlaloc
Payaso Tenebroso
Payaso Tenebroso

Character sheet
Main character info:
Level, Stats and Skills:
Health:
Dragon Ball and me. Left_bar_bleue100/100Dragon Ball and me. Empty_bar_bleue  (100/100)

Back to top Go down

Dragon Ball and me. Empty Re: Dragon Ball and me.

Post by Son Goku Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:56 pm

Well the FCC has a lot of say in the U.S. but that shouldn't matter when it comes to movies most of the time anyway. Fox is just too scared to appeal to a more mature DB audience.
Son Goku
Son Goku
Big Boss
Big Boss

Character sheet
Main character info:
Level, Stats and Skills:
Health:
Dragon Ball and me. Left_bar_bleue100/100Dragon Ball and me. Empty_bar_bleue  (100/100)

http://blogs.ign.com/I_LIKE_TURTLES

Back to top Go down

Post by Tlaloc Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:32 pm

Son Goku wrote:Well the FCC has a lot of say in the U.S. but that shouldn't matter when it comes to movies most of the time anyway. Fox is just too scared to appeal to a more mature DB audience.

I made this small essay to say how I feel about Dragon Ball, but it seems I have failed. I was traying to say that Dragon Ball helped me become a more spiritual person, but sadly due to things that have happened to me, I believe I haven't matured to profess the word of Dragon Ball and I am losing faith in following my dreams or that if I should even follow them.

And then this movie appears to sink things even more...

Tlaloc
Payaso Tenebroso
Payaso Tenebroso

Character sheet
Main character info:
Level, Stats and Skills:
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post by VEGETA_DTX Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:56 am

Tlaloc, I think this is perfect! I really enjoyed reading your post! It touched me!

First I must say that your story is really interesting and nice and I also like the fact that you went deep into some details! It all really impressed me. It also reminds me of mine story at some points.
As I read it more I felt more sad and more sorry for you and for all of us here, as there are big chances that we will face our nightmare pretty soon Sad

Now, I am not sure if I am the right person to speak of this; since I believe there is still a lot for me to learn; and maybe I don’t follow the ideals of DB since I do make my errors and have my share of skeletons in the closet. Lately, I have been losing my faith and not sure if I should trust God or not as he may not exist; but I do remember the time when DB made me believe in God, and thank Him for having me let know Son Goku.
No you should not be worried at all Tlaloc!
In my opnion, the alone fact that you are aware of your errors and tend to fix them is enough to say that you DO follow the ideals of DB, yes you PERFECTLY DO! Wink
So don't lose your faith! you are certainly not the one who should feel any guilty...remember that Kaypain24!?(not the Kaypain but Kaypain24) he is one good example of someone who SHOULD be ashamed, who SHOULD feel guilty and who SHOULD be afraid since whatever he do is flaming, racist, disrespectful, bullish, wrong and evil.
I think he have loooots of work on his hands if he wanna change to a better person(if he actually want to be better person at all? and if he ever felt any guilt at all?).

So don't you worry about that, keep doing what you always did and always try to improve yourself to a better person, thats always gonna be my suggestion to anyone.

But as you grow, it is highly possible that you lose the characteristics of your childhood, and if you struggle to keep them; others will push you to lose them in order to be accepted and understood by society, another brick in the wall.
This is sooo right and its perfectly said! and thats why I always tended to blow out anything that society pushes up to me and that I feel is wrong, or not appropriate for me...
Thats why I blame stereotypes and trends so much, I hate them soooo much!

But all in all don't lose your faith Wink

Now I may not be someone who should be encouraging someone and talking about don't loosing fate, since I don't know when was the last time I didn't felt angry, disappointed and depressed, but right because I know how MUCH it hurts I advise you not ever to fall in it Smile
And I know you are pretty capable of stabilizing. I fell that all of you on this forum will be enough successful and satisfied in your life, its just a matter of time, just don't ever lose your temper like I do and be aware of everything, thats my advise to you Wink

To conclude this all, really nice story of yours, I'll maybe write mine once and it should also be pretty long.
VEGETA_DTX
VEGETA_DTX
Administrator
Administrator

Character sheet
Main character info:
Level, Stats and Skills:
Health:

https://liveactionprotest.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawttdawgg Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:34 am

Well... I watched the whole episode not so long ago and i liked it... but then i heard about the live action movie.. i'm so pissed and i ... I DUNNO WHAT TODO
Hawttdawgg
Hawttdawgg
Adult Saiyan
Adult Saiyan

Character sheet
Main character info:
Level, Stats and Skills:
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post by Jessica Raine Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:34 am

Dragon ball, dragon ball...*sigh* some of my best childhood memories...
I have 2 older bros, Johnny who is 12 years older than me, and Jimmy who is 9 years older than me. Jimmy watched Dragon Ball and me, being the kind of little sis who looked up to and admired her big bros, wanted to watch with him. I was prolly around 4 or 5. And I fell in love with the show...Every day i would not so patiently await 5PM, when Dragon Ball would be on Cartoon network. My big bro jimmy would watch with me, and it was the only time of the day that he didn't endlessly torment me. I watched for years, the last I remember was towards the end of the Buu saga. (then it went off-air for a while and I don't remember much after that, I don't think they put it on at 5pm anymore.)

But man, the memories, the joy, the having a crush on Goku, the paranoia of me thinking Cell was gonna kill me in my sleep...*sigh* good times, good times.
Jessica Raine
Jessica Raine
Disfunctional robot
Disfunctional robot

Character sheet
Main character info:
Level, Stats and Skills:
Health:

http://jessicaraine.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawttdawgg Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:43 am

heh... they stopped broadcasting dragonball on tv.. so i'll have to buy it xD
Hawttdawgg
Hawttdawgg
Adult Saiyan
Adult Saiyan

Character sheet
Main character info:
Level, Stats and Skills:
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post by Jessica Raine Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:44 am

or use thr magic of in ternets and watch for free....but it would be more beneficial to buy it...hmmm maybe I will buy it for jimmy for his b-day...and borrow it...

Lol I never got around to borrowing his thundercats dvds...
Jessica Raine
Jessica Raine
Disfunctional robot
Disfunctional robot

Character sheet
Main character info:
Level, Stats and Skills:
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawttdawgg Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:47 am

i dont wanna download it D:
i will support them Very Happy
Hawttdawgg
Hawttdawgg
Adult Saiyan
Adult Saiyan

Character sheet
Main character info:
Level, Stats and Skills:
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post by Jessica Raine Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:48 am

lol nice ^_^
I has dvds of all english seasons of Sailor moon, but I have reason to believe half of them are bootleg --__-- Darn eBay...
Jessica Raine
Jessica Raine
Disfunctional robot
Disfunctional robot

Character sheet
Main character info:
Level, Stats and Skills:
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawttdawgg Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:53 am

heh... i'd bought the manga too ^^ love it!!
Hawttdawgg
Hawttdawgg
Adult Saiyan
Adult Saiyan

Character sheet
Main character info:
Level, Stats and Skills:
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post by Jessica Raine Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:58 am

neato.
I wish DBZ was baxk on air though...commercials suck, but somethin about watchin on tv is special
Jessica Raine
Jessica Raine
Disfunctional robot
Disfunctional robot

Character sheet
Main character info:
Level, Stats and Skills:
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawttdawgg Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:02 am

=/
Hawttdawgg
Hawttdawgg
Adult Saiyan
Adult Saiyan

Character sheet
Main character info:
Level, Stats and Skills:
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post by Jessica Raine Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:13 am

O o
/¯________________________
| IMMA FIRING' MAH LAZOR!!!
\_¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Jessica Raine
Jessica Raine
Disfunctional robot
Disfunctional robot

Character sheet
Main character info:
Level, Stats and Skills:
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawttdawgg Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:28 am

O o
| FIRE'D YUR LAZOR!
Hawttdawgg
Hawttdawgg
Adult Saiyan
Adult Saiyan

Character sheet
Main character info:
Level, Stats and Skills:
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post by Jessica Raine Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:33 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
T T
| NOW I AM SAD
Jessica Raine
Jessica Raine
Disfunctional robot
Disfunctional robot

Character sheet
Main character info:
Level, Stats and Skills:
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawttdawgg Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:35 am

O o
| CHARGIN' YUR LAZOR!
Hawttdawgg
Hawttdawgg
Adult Saiyan
Adult Saiyan

Character sheet
Main character info:
Level, Stats and Skills:
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post by Jessica Raine Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:36 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
O o
| IMA STEALING YOUR COOKIES
Jessica Raine
Jessica Raine
Disfunctional robot
Disfunctional robot

Character sheet
Main character info:
Level, Stats and Skills:
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post by VEGETA_DTX Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:33 pm

JessicaRaine wrote:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
O o

What that actually means Very Happy?

And nice story about DB btw Wink
VEGETA_DTX
VEGETA_DTX
Administrator
Administrator

Character sheet
Main character info:
Level, Stats and Skills:
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawttdawgg Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:45 pm

Its SHOOP DA WHOOOOOOOOOOOP
Hawttdawgg
Hawttdawgg
Adult Saiyan
Adult Saiyan

Character sheet
Main character info:
Level, Stats and Skills:
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post by Jessica Raine Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:34 pm

VEGETA_DTX wrote:
JessicaRaine wrote:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
O o

What that actually means Very Happy?

And nice story about DB btw Wink

thanks^_^
me and hawtdawg are chanding this thing called "shoop da woop" where someone makes that face, yells IM A FIRIN MUH LAZOR and shoots a lazor from their mouth. here it its origin.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSVNbxjdvv8
Jessica Raine
Jessica Raine
Disfunctional robot
Disfunctional robot

Character sheet
Main character info:
Level, Stats and Skills:
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawttdawgg Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:29 am

haha ^^
Hawttdawgg
Hawttdawgg
Adult Saiyan
Adult Saiyan

Character sheet
Main character info:
Level, Stats and Skills:
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post by VEGETA_DTX Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:43 am

Oh I known for this but I didn't reference it to that IMA FIRING' MAH LAZOR, I obviously never payed attention much on what they were saying Smile
VEGETA_DTX
VEGETA_DTX
Administrator
Administrator

Character sheet
Main character info:
Level, Stats and Skills:
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post by Jessica Raine Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:31 pm

VEGETA_DTX wrote:Oh I known for this but I didn't reference it to that IMA FIRING' MAH LAZOR, I obviously never payed attention much on what they were saying Smile

heh heh. I randomly shout it when I'm bored
Jessica Raine
Jessica Raine
Disfunctional robot
Disfunctional robot

Character sheet
Main character info:
Level, Stats and Skills:
Health:

Back to top Go down

Post by Chulance Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:32 pm

IMA FIRIN MY LAZER!

*Cries*I miss Jessie sooo much she was cool!.

Anyway, I've seen DB at first the original series and learned of DBZ later then saw the ultimate series... and that was it for me.

Years later I got DBGt.

I never watched streaming, I supported buying DBZ.
Chulance
Chulance
Supreme ruler of DBZ
Supreme ruler of DBZ

Character sheet
Main character info:
Level, Stats and Skills:
Health:

https://www.youtube.com/user/chulance

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next